Since 1894, The Monarch Public House has been the center piece of Fountain City. The brick building was built by the Odd Fellows, using the second story as their meeting hall. Until the Odd Fellows disbanded in the mid 60’s, the tavern was considered their 'domain'. Even women weren't allowed in the bar until that time.
The ornate hand-tooled oak back-bar, along with the tables and chairs, have been part of The Monarch since it opened in 1894. The tavern has never changed names, and has been continuously open throughout it's history.
For almost 90 years, the room now called Preservation Hall housed a grocery and general store. First owned by Knaub and Wunderlicht, later it became Abts Grocery. The interior brick wall separated the bar from the grocery store until 1996, when the 2 halves were connected by removing 2 sections of brick. The kitchen facilities were added at that time.