like every parent, we searched high and low for a good day care. We read the reviews on Carpe Diem and decided to go with this place for our 20m child. But, after 2 months and not a great experience we asked ourselves the question - is this place really that good and worth it?
A couple of things:
- Teacher turn over is really high: In the 2m that our child was there, the class had almost 4 different teachers. They had to come in and learn and get to know the child
- The teachers are all 20 somethings: Agreed the school tries to hire college grads. They might have an education in child studies but truly have very little hands on experience.
- No personal warmth/touch: In 2m of my child being there, the teachers didn't take time to get to know her. This is even though the teacher student ration is low - there were 8kids to 2 teachers in her class. For them, it was about going through the motions for them (following the time table, serving food, putting them to sleep..etc) Also, noticed that the teachers being young have more interest in creating crafts rather than being with the kids
- The management is not hands on and doesn't get to know the children/parents: The director/manager has no energy and is too busy buying books but doesn't get to know the child or her parents. She got to know of our child only when we had something to tell her. When we told them we were leaving, no questions asked as to why and what the reasons were...
- The fee structure is not flexible. Whether you want to stay for 5 hours or the entire day, you pay the same. And they are one of the highest $ fees in the Dallas area.
We moved our child within 2months. Also noticed that the school has a high turn over in kids as well.